October 4, 2010

7 Days of Anime August 8-14

7 Days of Anime (7DA) is a column by the mangatron where he grades the episode of the week for the series' that he follows. Grades are done with 3 things in mind: 1) How well the episode fits into the current pacing [of the main story], 2) How well it maintained a viewers interest, and 3) overall enjoyment level (Animation quality, sounds of music and voice, and use of story elements).
Legend:
A = Time well spent
B = If it's your cup of tea, drink it
C= Only the fans will enjoy it regardless
+ = And then some
- = Something is missing...



Asobi ni Ikuyo! Episode 05
Uhm... the next cult in line full of crazies, these folks worship the cat (or the kitty ears thereof). Huh, they should just stick to anime/manga/games. That's as close as this world will ever get to them, anyways. And we get to see Aoi meet her mama (har har), like anyone saw that coming.



Grade: C+
Pros: Hmm hm, full body suit Wan-chan. I'll admit if they ever mentioned her name, I forgot already.
Cons: Uhm, let me get this straight. Aoi can put that suit on at will. Great.... And I have to ask this, just what is it with rich people owning a large house and stuff and a lot of the same thing. Is there anyone like that in this world? Just who set up this stereotype for anime/manga in the first place? Don't tell me it's Richie Rich. Not to mention they are occasionally portrayed as loners whose life sucks till they come across the main chara's...

Strike Witches Episode 06
Oooh, an Eila Juutilainen Le Britannia Von PanzerWurfer whateverhernameis episode. You get to know some things about her this ep, like, how she likes Sanya-chan, and how she loves Sanya-chan, and.... er I mean like how she has never used her shield, and how she might be impotent in that regard, and-... wait, I'm going way outer space here...
Grade: A
Pros: You gotta love the Sanya-Eila moments in this ep. Tis really sweet, I tells ya. Like ze end, ja. And, Perrine-chan with her hair that messed up was cute. Her training session was funny too.
Cons: Hmm....bath censors? Yeah, they be bad I say. And, I gotta know.... when the girls go rocket booster up into the great beyond, wouldn't the stage 1 girls be toast? I mean, they are pretty close to the stage 2 girls when they fired their rockets. Gots to be some invisible magic, I tells ja ;)

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi Episode 07
Here, Ookami-chan and Ryoushi go out on a date. It's supposed to be a mission, but an accident leads to them actually going on a date. Oh wowser, this seems to continue last weeks "girls wearing something you normally don't see."

Grade: B-
Pros: Uhm.... this is as girly as we'll ever see of Ookami-chan. The little bonnet cap thing, the not-revealing dress, the "I'm a 13 yr-old girl" thing going.
Cons: She's flat chested. OOOOHHHH no that's not me who said that. In all seriousness though, this kind of felt like the typical date episode, that won't really progress the relationship of the main chara's in question. Sucks to be Ryoushi, being an Onii-san for naught.

Amagami SS episode 07
Oh my, somebody ordered the Drama entree. You shouldn't be laughing at all during this episode, just to warn you. But, it happens, you know. We're all human, and Kaoru exhibits some of this during the run. Lots of Junichi monologue too. Wait, why is one supposed to laugh. There may be some RomCom moments now and then but it's drama sometimes too.

Grade: B-
Pros: I'll admit, that part where Kaoru and Juni were talking outside of the restaraunt, her legs were so pretty. Them thigh-highs, that mini-skirt, oh.... I'm not laughing, I'm melting....melting...
Cons: You won't laugh this episode. Well, maybe during the non-Kaoru moments, but I did get a laugh when Juni walks away thinking he said a cool thing. Wait, why is lack of laughs a con...

Shukufuku no Campanella Episode 07
Another quest. This time they go out to find my lost sheep. Er... not that. But, quests are always about finding things, right? If it is just camp raiding and slaughtering, they're not a guild but mercenaries. Wait, what the heck does this have to do with Shukufuku?

Grade: B
Pros: Nice battle at the end. I spied me some Chelsea pantsu.
Cons: Well, they'll be talking a lot, if that makes you sleepy. Me, I like to brave the first half solely for the benefit of waiting for the eye-catch. And got some nice pantyhose eye-catch this time :D

Highschool of the Tot Episode 06
I have a vendetta against this series, huh? Well, this time, it's just fanservice. JUST fanservice because the story just plain sucks. I mean come on, the damn bridge is blocked, why are the people persistent on going through that? Not to mention there were some zombo's among them. Swim the damn river or something, make a makeshift boat, find some way to cross, and for that matter, is that the only bridge in the area? And someone tell me just how common is it for cops to still use six-shooters? I understand patrol cops usually carry those, but given the chaotic situation, you'd think they had stocked up on some shotguns and AR-15's or something. But no, crappy story gets shoved aside in favour of.... boobies.

Grade: C+
Pros: Boobies.
Cons: See above. No wait, I mean that big nasty paragraph above. Or unless fanservice doesn't suit you, then yeah...

Seitokai Yakuindomo Episode 07
It's le beach episode, something we've all been waiting for. Well, I don't know about you, but I've been waiting. And it's not like only the first half (the beach part) was only the good part, even the second half was a blast.

Grade: A
Pros: Swimsuits, bath scenes, great jokes and what not, even Hata-chan joins the fun. Shino x Tsuda moments too, it's great. I got a huge laugh from Shino's bathing suit color choice (knew that was coming) and Tsuda's eroge gaming fantasy.
Cons: Very few beach episodes go all 20 minutes or so. Always gotta be first half, or less than half a half, or probably just 5 minutes of scenes, or...I'm ranting, aren't I?

Sekirei ~Pure Engagement~ Episode 06
It's time for some BBQ wingin'! Original Recipe or Extra Crispy? Speaking of which, Joe Stalin said "death solves all problems. No man, no problem." Well, for more than a decade now, in anime, there's been a lot of "Love solves all problems. No love, big problem." I don't have to explain how it even goes for anime and games, even Hollywood movies usually have a romance element involved. Wait, why is this relevant to Sekirei...

Grade: B
Pros: Whaa! Ripped clothes! It's assault! Assault I tells ya! I mean, you can clearly see them boobies on there! I don't know what to think anymore!!!!!
Cons: Gah, a kiss between a boy and... that's a girl, right? Oh lordy... it really is boobies. But, as the camera panned down low, we don't see an elephant. Does that mean it's a girl? Yippe kay yay!



Winner of the week:

Eila Juutilainen Von PanzerWurfer
Uh, I know that's not her name, but for some strange insistent reason I like calling her that (Read: I really forgot her real name). But really though, her episode this week for Strike Witches was an absolutely touching ep. She likes to sing, she tried to prove she's very well capable of protecting her Sanya-chan, did a bit of training, and the greatest part was when she used her shield for the very first time, the music was the icing on the cake, very well done and the lyrics as well. If you thought I just watch Strike Witches for the pantsu, well, you guessed wrong, it's moments like this ep that makes Strike Witches stand in it's own field of greatness. Hats of to you, Eila-chan. Or maybe because you can see the future too...


Comments open to all, no login required. Users already signed into their Google account can comment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are published immediately, and anyone can comment.