September 11, 2011

A decade ago: September 11th, 2001


Los Angeles, California. I went to bed the previous night thinking the next day would be like any other, but I was awoken by my brother calling me saying "did you hear?" And so I groggily went over to the ol' tube television and saw the towers burning.


Being the cognitive person that I am, the first thing that came to mind: "The world will change forever"

Despite in my opinion that strangely worded sentence (which was in English, not German or any other language), it didn't take long to see how the world will change. I knew the Americans wouldn't take this sitting down, that they wouldn't let it go (at this time I was still involved in Military Strategy), and this was the first time in my life that I saw a country practically stop to a standstill for about a day. It was this event which unfortunately delayed Full Metal Panic, and airport security never was the same again. Due to the massive combat experience of the US Army in the past decade, the Drone Wars truly have just begun. Though many experts and analysts agree that the Drones cannot win a war on their own, it is without a doubt the insurgents in Iraq and Afgahnistan have accelerated the development of UAV's.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by this day 10 years ago, to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice: their lives, so that many of us can enjoy the freedom we have today.

I may not have directly been affected by the events on that day, but one assuring thing I know of: Osama Bin Laden did not last 10 years afterwards. I now wonder if Full Metal Panic will rise up in its greatness again. I haven't gotten myself involved in that series since Tessa's Second Raid OVA >__>

2 comments:

  1. i could say that you are a sick bastard worrying about fmp when the world's (probably) most powerful country is in crisis but... i understand your feelings;) if you follow the fmp novels thread on animesuki, you should know that the original series reached its end last year(a spinoff came out on August 20th) if you want to know what's the end and if you really like the series, read the novels starting from Dancing Very Merry Christmas... if you have read them then my apologies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's odd mentioning FMP in this post, but I was pointing out that not just the US was affected by the events on that day, it touched the world, and I may not have been in New York at the time but I still felt as if my own house was burning, because of that slight feeling of downness I had. (I was fairly still new to living in the USA at that time, as I spent all of my early years in Germany, which the Rhein Main bombings happened in my town). The Rhein Main attack effectively convinced the Americans to barricade gateways.

    I have also not dived into anything FMP since TSR, so I was not aware the novels already ended. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are published immediately, and anyone can comment.